Cobnut and Apple Cake
- 100g chopped Cobnuts
- 2 grated Apples (I like skin on, but feel free to take it off if you can be bothered)
- 180g Butter
- 180g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 225g Self-Raising Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons of Yoghurt
- 3 tbsp Dulce de Leche or Home-made Caramel
- 25g finely chopped Cobnuts
- Beat the butter and sugar until smooth, then add the eggs and continue beating well.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder followed by the yoghurt, apples and nuts.
- Heat the oven to 180C fan/gas 4. Pre heat a loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin and bake for 1 hour or until it has risen and is golden on top and a knife comes out clean (be careful because the apple can look like uncooked cake).
- Heat the dulche de leche or caramel in a saucepan and let it bubble for a minute or two. Throw in the nuts and then pour the mixture on top of the cake whilst it is still warm. Once the topping and cake have cooled for 5 minutes lift the cake out of the tin and finish cooling it on a rack.
- Serve, ideally with a pot of tea.