Asparagus and Porcini Mushroom Risotto
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 250g)
- Dried porcini mushrooms (about 75g)
- 1.5L vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- 200ml white wine or vermouth (optional)
- 75g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, finely grated
- Cut the asparagus into chunks about 2cm long and gently simmer them in some of the stock for about a minute and then set aside. Finely slice the ends of the asparagus.
- Heat the oil and half the butter in a large saucepan. Cook the onions gently for 5 mins with a little salt, add the finely sliced asparagus stalks and cook for 2 mins more. Add the rice and continously stir for a few minutes until it becomes semi-transparent and makes a hissing sound.
- Stir in the wine if using, reducing the heat to a gentle simmer. Add the dried mushrooms and stir well. Add the stock, a bit at a time, stirring between each addition until it is absorbed, about 15 mins.
- Once the mushrooms are getting soft, stir in the asparagus tips and more stock if it starts to dry and cook for 1 or 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and top with the remaining butter and most of the parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and leave for a few minutes to settle.
- Serve and top with parmesan.